Mr. S.N. Goenka and his assistants teach Vipassana meditation in ten-day residential courses worldwide. During the Vipassana course, meditators learn how to meditate by practicing intensively and continuously. On the last day, Mr. Goenka explains how they should continue their meditation practice after the course so that they can gain maximum benefit from Vipassana.
Vipassana Meditation Practice After the Course:Mr. Goenka advises students to meditate one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening at home. In addition, students should practice Vipassana for a few minutes at bedtime until they fall asleep and as soon as they wake up in the morning. In addition, he advises students to take part in a ten-day residential Vipassana meditation retreat at least once a year to deepen their understanding of the meditation practice.
Vipassana Meditation Daily Practice—Five Benefits:The daily practice of Vipassana improves quality of life in several ways, directly and indirectly. Among them, the five most important benefits are:
- Increased basal level of awareness and equanimity
- Understanding of sitting meditation and daily life affecting each other beneficially
- Development of positive mental qualities
- Appreciation of the value of ethical behavior
- Positive health resulting from meditation during meals